Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Southwestern Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burritos with Cashew Cheese

Wow - the weather yesterday was crazy. We woke up to really warm weather (not a good thing in October) and by 10, the dark clouds arrived. 10:30 - 11 the wind began to blow hard and the rain soon followed. 

I heard that several sirens went off all over the state and many people spent some time in the basement or in hallways. Thankfully -- the weather did not get that bad here. I am a real weather scare-d-cat. Scare-d-cat Lindsey has gotten worse since having little ones to care for and protect. 

By 4 pm the weather was cooling off again and there was not a cloud in the sky. 

I like to make a more hearty meal on rainy (blah) days! I have been playing around with this idea in my head, mix sweet potato and black beans. It was a success!!! I came up with this hearty comfort-like dish! Which would be a fabulous Meatless Monday meal!
 The Ingredients:

Cashew Cheese
1/2c unsalted cashews
1/4c nutritional yeast
1T coconut oil
Burritos
3 sweet potatoes 
1 1/2c cooked black beans (I used homemade - I will post my recipe soon!)
1/2 red onion, diced (I did not have this on hand and it was good without!)
1 large tomato, diced 
8 - 10 tortillas ( I used 6 Ezekiel Sprouted Grain Tortillas)
1 1/2c salsa (I used homemade)
1/2c corn, fresh or frozen
1/4c chopped scallion


The Directions:

Preheat oven to 400* and bake sweet potatoes until soft, about 45 min.  I cut the potatoes into 1/4’s to help with the cooking.  Remove and let cool.

While potatoes are cooking, grind cashews into a fine powder, in a food processor.  Then, process with the nutritional yeast until just combined.  Add oil and process until just moistened.  If processed too long it will become dough-like.

If using frozen corn, thaw by boiling 1c. of water and pouring over frozen corn in a strainer.
Peel potatoes and mash with lime juice.  I used a fork which worked perfectly. 
Fold in beans, onion, and tomato. I decided to add a little corn in mine. 

Spoon about 1/3cup filling into each burrito, depending on size, roll and place seem side down in a baking dish. 

Cover with salsa and Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes then broil for about 3 min.

Add corn + cashew cheese and broil for about 2 more minutes.  Watch closely so the “cheese” does not burn.

Top with scallions + serve.


I had a little extra filling so I saved it for the baby. That way he could enjoy without eating any nuts. He enjoyed it! 


Sweet Potato

1 comment:

  1. 3 Studies PROVE Why Coconut Oil Kills Fat.

    This means that you literally get rid of fat by eating Coconut Fats (also coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from big medical magazines are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails