Thursday, October 28, 2010

Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Winter Squash and Chicken Sausage


I made this dinner more difficult than it needed to be. Although, for my first time, it was worth the extra time. As I have mentioned before, my family is a fan of Brussels Sprouts. We love them. I have always sliced them into twos or fours but never sliced, ribboned or even peeled. 

Actually, I take that back. I have a Brussels Sprout salad with blueberries (cranberries) and walnuts. Technically, I did not make the salad.

I used 1 1/2 bags of Brussels Sprouts. I cut them in half and then pulled the pieces apart. 
Yes - ALOT of work... Made it a lot harder than it needed to be. 

Next time, I will slice the Brussels Sprouts into slices or as they call it ribbons. 


I cut up, steamed and saute Butternut Squash in Coconut Oil.


I added Chicken Sausage.

Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Winter Squash and Chicken Sausage









Ingredients
3/4 lb butternut squash, diced
4 tsp olive oil, divided
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 links smoked chicken sausage, sliced (preferably a sweeter flavor - I used Apple-Gate)
3/4 lb Brussels Sprouts
1 TBSP Artisana Almond Butter, melted
A dash or two of Braggs Aminos (or soy sauce)
pinch each of smoked paprika and nutmeg
1/2 oz pine nuts, toasted



The Directions:
Place the squash in a steamer pot, add a splash of water, cover, and cook on high for about 5 minutes.

Wash the Brussels sprouts, remove any yellowing outer leaves, trim, and slice into ribbons (I pulled my apart.)

Heat 2 tsp coconut oil over medium-high heat and add the steamed squash with a pinch of salt. Cook for a few minutes on each side, until nicely browned. Add remaining 2 tsp olive oil to the pan, turn the heat up just a bit, then add the Brussels sprouts. Season with more salt and a pinch of smoked paprika and nutmeg. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring a few times, until nicely browned in spots. Add the sliced chicken sausage, cook 1-2 minutes more, and then add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds. Remove from the pan and set aside.



 Add the squash mixture and pine nuts, toss together and heat through. Add a dash or two of Braggs Amino. Melt 1 TBSP Almond Butter and pour and mix evenly.  Serve immediately.




4 comments:

  1. Hey Linds! What would happen if i didn't have the almond butter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was good without the Almond Butter too!!!! You will love this recipe Jamie! ENJOY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was so so so yummy. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 3 Researches SHOW Why Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    This means that you literally kill fat by consuming Coconut Fats (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from large medical magazines are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails