Friday, November 26, 2010

What's in a label...

I started this blog for a couple of reasons. I wanted to share yummy HEALTHY recipes with family and friends! But more importantly, I want to share information (dirty secrets) the food industry doesn't want you to know. 

I have mentioned it before but the way our family eats changed after watching Food, Inc. 


Here is one of those "dirty" little secrets the food industry doesn't want you to you know... 

The soup industry is thriving on the newest craze"hidden vegetables" but that is not all they are hiding. 
Anyone know what “mechanically separated chicken” is??? 

That is mechanically separated chicken.
That  is the result of a machine scraping clean every ounce of chicken meat off of the bones and putting it through a high pressure sieve.  Then, sources say, “because it’s crawling with bacteria, it will be washed with ammonia…because it tastes gross, it will be reflavored artificially.  Then, because it is weirdly pink, it will be dyed with artificial color.”


There’s no way that can be healthy for kids.

Thankfully - our three year old does not consume "mechanically separated chicken" but enjoys locally raised, hormone free, grass fed chicken. Otherwise, I would have been spending some time in the bathroom -- SICK... I am already sick to my stomach and disgusted by just looking at this picture... This is considered normal and healthy...

I think not!

I have created some delicious and real "healthy" soup recipes my boys enjoy! Maybe give them a try before serving "mechanically separated chicken."

Why don't you give them a look, here!

1 comment:

  1. I've heard of this but never seen a picture. That is so gross. Thanks for the post, and thanks for the pumpkin spice recipe as well - we're totally trying that tomorrow! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails