Thursday, May 19, 2011

It's CSA time!!!!

Oh how I love this time of year!!!! It is warming up... not really. It has been 50 here all week...  The flowers are blooming... Fresh fruits and vegetables from the CSA and Farmers markets.
 Last year, hubby and I joined our first CSA and were so excited!!!! Our expectations were met and exceeded! We enjoyed weekly bag full of delicious goodies!!! :) And yesterday, this years CSA began.

I start my week off with Monday waiting to see our newsletter from our farmer. It is then that I know what to expect and start planning and looking forward to pick up. Wednesday around 2 the delivery was made and we make our way for pick up sometime after that. Yesterday along with the vegetables  pictured above we got a dozen farm fresh eggs. We also had some extras, which I happily picked up! Applemint, Oregano and Peppermint!

I also love this time of year because I plan and plant my garden. With the weather being so rainy and cold, I have not had the chance to get everything planted... I am behind but that is OK! :) This is my second year so I am looking forward to some new tricks I have read and studied up on!!! I am really hoping for a great gardening season!!!

I will post pictures from both our CSA and our home garden!!!!

UNTIL THEN!!!! I have found a new Brussels Sprout recipe that is awesome... Might be my favorite!!!! :)
The Ingredients: 
1 bag of Brussels Sprouts, ends cut off and cut in half
1/2 TBSP Olive Oil or Coconut Oil
1/2 TBSP Balsamic Vinegar
1/2 TBSP - 1 TBSP Maple Syrup

 The Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a mixing bowl add cut Brussels Sprouts. Add Olive Oil, Balsamic Vinegar and Maple Syrup and mix well.

Pour Brussels onto a cookie sheet with Parchment paper.

Bake for 10 minutes and take out and stir around, mixing the Brussels into the juices. Put back in the oven for 10 - 15 more minutes.

THESE are hands down AMAZING, sweet tasting, delicious!!!!

I also made Almond meal and coconut crusted salmon!!! DE-LISH!
 The Directions:
Wash and pat dry Salmon. Lay on salmon on broil pan. Coat Salmon with 1 TBSP Olive Oil. I brushed the Olive Oil around, so the salmon was COMPLETELY covered. I then sprinkled Almond Meal over the salmon. I think I used 1 - 2 TBSP of Almond Meal. Just enough to cover the Salmon. I then sprinkled 1 - 2 TBSP of shredded unsweetened coconut on the salmon. Topped the coconut with nutmeg and pepper.

Cook the Salmon at 400 degrees for 15 - 20 minutes or until the salmon flakes away.

 Maple Syrup would have been another nice sweet thing to add.


Finally,
Saute Asparagus with just a little Olive Oil and Shredded Coconut seasoned with Lemon Pepper.
It was nice adding the coconut in while cooking the asparagus because some of the coconut browned and was a little treat in my mouth!

3 year old kept saying "look there is candy on here!" He loved it!

Yes - he ate dinner in an elephant costume! 


There you have it!!! Our dinner!!! Delicious and extremely quick.

and the best part...


Clean up was easy!!!

Don't forget to check out my Applegate giveaway!!! 

6 comments:

  1. Where do you do your food share at?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hubby and I love Brussels sprouts (my son not so much). I've been trying to find a recipe that would make me want to eat salmon, and this sounds yummy! Thanks!

    Here's My Recipe

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a delicious meal. I love the addition of the maple syrup to the Brussels Sprouts. I will have to try that. Thanks for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hurry back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crazy, that doesn't even look like salmon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is very good to have vegetables which are green and good for health.It helps balance the diet and look forward to great health.the habits have to be formed at a tender age.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Healthy foods can also be yummy and tasty, you just have to prepare them the right way.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails