Lately, I have been noticing that Americans are like cattle. I have asked hubby a number of times to watch a fast food line. We are pushed into a line just like cattle is moved into stalls.
The biggest similarity to cows is the large amount of corn the average America is taking in. Did you know, corn, soy or wheat products is in 45,000 items at the grocery store??? That is about 1/3 of the grocery store.
Americans consume too much corn, soy and wheat.
|Do you see the problems?|
The sad thing is that many Americans may not even know exactly how much corn they are actually consuming. And did you know that corn is the WORST grain to consume??? Corn is everywhere. From high fructose corn syrup, to cornstarch, corn flour, corn bran, to the meat that was raised on corn—and much less obvious, leavenings and lecithin, mono-, di-, and triglycerides, the golden coloring, and even citric acid can all be derived from corn.
Because of this, the American diet is MESSED up. We are now trapped in our own backyard feedlots, and have become obese, sick with chronic disease, and apathetic about the source and nutritional quality of our food—simply because, “It tastes good.” This dysfunctional eating habits has found super sized appetites and food additions despite the affects on ones health.
Did you know Gatorade, Twinkies, Bleech and Hamburger all start with the same ingredient? CORN. Corn is the main ingredient in both edible and non edible products. Disposable diapers, trash bags, toothpaste, charcoal briquettes, matches, batteries, and even the shine on the covers of magazines all contain corn.
Thank goodness my family does not consume a lot of corn, anymore. Our diet consumes of grass-fed beef, pastured chickens, pastured eggs, vegetables (organic and local when possible), fruits (organic if dirty dozen), seeds and nuts (raw). Our health is important to us and should be to you, as well!
|I wish the healthy choice picture included meats and good fats (nuts and oil). You get the point! :)|
Here are some changes we as a family have decided to make.
1. STOP buying the junk. Shop the outer aisles of the store. There are a few exceptions. Nuts, Coconut milk, shredded coconut, etc are inside aisles. Dairy is outside aisle - WALK AWAY!
2. If you are going to consume dairy, make better choices. Mark at Mark's Daily Apple suggests
3. Be picky with your meat. Ask questions.
Ok - you do not have to be this extreme!!!
Grass-fed beef is better for human health than grain-fed beef in ten different ways, according to the most comprehensive analysis to date. The 2009 study was a joint effort between the USDA and researchers at Clemson University in South Carolina. Compared with grain-fed beef, grass-fed beef was:
- Higher in beta-carotene
- Higher in vitamin E (alpha-tocopherol)
- Higher in the B-vitamins thiamin and riboflavin
- Higher in the minerals calcium, magnesium, and potassium
- Higher in total omega-3s
- A healthier ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids (1.65 vs 4.84)
- Higher in CLA (cis-9 trans-11), a potential cancer fighter
- Higher in vaccenic acid (which can be transformed into CLA)
- Lower in the saturated fats linked with heart disease
Just some food for thought!