Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Quinoa Chili

I am sure you have noticed I am not a photographer. I have some creative moments but others I almost forget to take a picture and have to work with what is left.

Some food photographs better than others... with my NON photographer skills.

We have been enjoying some GREAT fall mornings and evenings! With that being said I was inspired to make my first batch of chili! I wanted to try something new but still have great flavor as a normal chili.

When I first started throwing this chili together, I wanted a more vegetable chili than meat and bean. I did not add all the vegetables I wanted because I wanted to make sure everyone would eat it.

To my surprise, this chili really turned out great and I will add more vegetables next time.

(I warned you of my bad photography skills!)

Topped with sour cream and RAW cheddar Cheese

The Ingredients:
1/2 cup cook quinoa (I cooked my in homemade vegetable broth, 1cup)
1 lb ground beef
1 banana pepper
1 red bell pepper
1 purple bell pepper
2 LARGE garlic cloves
2 small onions
1 1/2 cups corn, frozen or fresh
1 can diced tomatoes, or fresh
1 bag red beans (soaked about 12 hours)
1 cup chili beans, can or bagged
chili powder
cumin
Salt and Pepper
Oregano
*you can buy chili packets if you want but you can season the chili yourself.

Next time I will add:
zucchini, chopped
carrots, chopped
celery, chopped
cilantro

The Directions:

I cook my quinoa in my rice cooker. Its nice because I put the quinoa in and forget about it. When it is ready, the rice cooker switches to warm and it is done!
(1/2 cup quinoa and 1 cup of vegetable broth)

Heat Olive Oil in a pan. Add Onion and garlic for about 3 - 5 minutes or until tender. Add chili powder and cumin and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.

Meanwhile, brown ground beef.

Add ground beef, tomatoes, beans, peppers, and the rest of your vegetables. Add Oregano and Salt and Pepper and simmer for 20 minutes.

Add quinoa and corn and cook for another 5 or so minutes.

Top with sour cream, raw cheese, cilantro, green onions.. whatever you want!!!!

Leftovers - mix with Gluten Free Brown Rice Pasta!!! Delicious and 3 year old approved! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails