Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Kale-Potato Soup

Abundance!

Yesterday while I was standing in front of the refrigerator deciding what to make for dinner I noticed an abundance. An abundance of healthy choices. An abundance of this and that. An abundance of vegetables for last Wednesdays food share. An abundance of possibilities!

While standing there a light bulb went off... my creative light bulb - that is!

Why not make roasted vegetables and turn it into a soup?

WOW - my creative light bulb did not fail me... It was a HUGE SUCCESS!!!!

Kale and Roasted Potato Soup

The Ingredients:
Small potatoes, cut into 4th's or 8th's. (Do not peel!)
a bunch of Kale
4 carrots, chopped (I did not peel... washed really good!)
4 - 6 ribs of celery, leaves and all, chopped
1 whole garlic
Olive Oil
Balsamic Vinegar
4 cups
homemade vegetable broth
salt and pepper
Italian Seasoning

The Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Place potatoes skin side down on a cookie sheet (lined with foil). Drizzle Olive Oil over the potatoes and then sprinkle Sea Salt and Pepper. Place 4 Garlic Cloves, Whole on the cookie sheet. Cover the Garlic with Balsamic Vinegar.

It is ok if a little gets onto the potatoes.

Roast the Potatoes and Garlic until the Potatoes are browned and softened (not mussy). I did mine for about 25 - 30 ish minutes...

Add all the other ingredients into a soup pot. Turn on HIGH heat and let the Kale and carrots boil. Add the Potatoes and Garlic into the soup. Add Italian Seasoning.

I left the garlic whole so that it could be picked out easily. I think it was just a good source of flavor!

Let the soup boil for 10 - 15 minutes or until the carrots are tender.


I left our soup chunky but you could blender it for a creamy soup.

This soup would be awesome with some chicken/turkey sausage. I might even roast the carrots next time.

** I kept the peels on the potatoes and carrots for extra vitamins!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails