Friday, February 4, 2011

Crockpot Chicken and Collard Green Soup

Live like a caveman (cave woman)... 
One thing I like about the way we eat is everything is fresh. Our meat is from a local farmer and stocked away in out outside freezer. Our vegetables are alive and in the fridge or frozen in the freezer leftover from our summer food share. Our pantry is practically bare, just a few cans (coconut milk, canned Alaskan salmon, tuna, tomatoes, applesauce, green chili's, etc.). I am good with it! I like eating fresh/frozen foods!!! 

We came across a few challenges this week. As you have seen in my past couple of post we were 
hit with a big ice storm.
It started Tuesday and continued into Wednesday. We have 2 inches in some places and more in others. You can ice skate outside in your slippers! I know, because I tried!

 We were advised Monday night and Tuesday to prepare for the worst. To prepare for power outages. Hubby and I are not the kind to panic but we are the type to prepare. 

How did we prepare for power outages when we eat the way we do? 

We stocked up on water. Just incase! 
We bought more fruits and vegetables!

Tuesday night was the worst night. The wind was blowing hard and the rain/ice/sleet/frozen rain was falling hard. Around 8 we lost power. Just for an hour but in that hour we prepared a room. We got the fire started and hung blankets to trap the heat in. 
(sorry for the poor quality)

The power came back on but only for 10 minutes or so and then back off for another 2 1/2 hours. Thankfully, it came back on and stayed on and has stayed on.

We were (a little) concerned about our meat when the power went out but quickly remember it was winter and we could just put our meat outside, if we had to. We could have loaded up the fridge and taken the stuff to the garage. We would have cooked, if it came to it, on the grill on the deck. 

Thankfully, it didn't go that far and we were only out power for 3 1/2 hours (or so).

I must say I was a little sad. I love experiencing new things. I think it would have been fun to be without power (phones, computers and tv) and had quality family time. I think that our 3 year old would have LOVED it and loved the adventure. Baby on the other hand may have been a little more difficult seeing as he loves to move and get around. 

Still to live powerless would have been an adventure!!!! 

I made this great HOT soup full of good vegetables and boy did it warm us up and hit the spot!
 I can't wait for SPRING! I feel like I am making a lot of soups and stews. 

Until then I will continue to make soups and I will continue to come up with new recipes! :) 

The Ingredients:
1 chicken fryer (I did not use the whole thing)
1 cup water
4 carrots, diced
3 cups collard greens, 
3 parsnips, diced
1 onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, whole
Lemon Pepper
Parsley
Basil
Garlic Powder

The Directions:
Add Chicken to crockpot, water, garlic, lemon pepper, garlic powder, parsley and basil.  Cook on High  for 4 hours then add vegetables. I took the chicken out and let it cool and took the chicken off the bone. I added the chicken back in the crockpot as soon as I was done. I cooked the soup on low the rest of the day.

**If you are gone all day and not able to add the vegetables after 4 hours,  here is what I suggest. Cook the chicken in the crockpot on low. When you get home take the chicken out and pour the broth into a soup pot and start boiling. Add vegetables. Take the skin and bones off the chicken. Let boil for 10 minutes and you are ready to go with tender vegetables and delicious fall off the bone chicken! :)

ENJOY!!! 

1 comment:

  1. 3 Researches SHOW How Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    This means that you actually burn fat by consuming coconut fat (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from major medical journals are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails