Thursday, July 22, 2010

Soaked Zucchini Bread

I am embarrassed to say another flop. I guess this time would be considered a 1/2 flop.


I found a zucchini bread recipe in my Nourishing Tradition's cookbook and just had to try it! Since finding out that I have an allergy to gluten, I am researching and coming up with new bread favorites.

This is not going to be easy!

I have now made this bread twice and 1/2 failed. I am pretty sure this bread will cook more evenly if I use a stoneware bread pan versus my regular bread pan. Since I do not have a stoneware pan, yet, I made both batches with my regular pan.

Outer dark brown and a few burnt corners. The inside not evenly cooked. Part left doughy while others cooked perfectly.

* Advise try cooking this with stoneware!


Ingredients:

3 cups freshly ground spelt, kamut, or whole wheat flour
2 cups buttermilk, kefir or
yogurt
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 Tablespoon sea salt
1/4 to 1/2 cup grade B maple syrup
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 cup melted butter
2 cups grated zucchini
1/2 cup chopped
crispy pecans

Preparation:

Soak flour in buttermilk, kefir or yogurt in a warm place for 12 to 24 hours – bread will rise better if soaked for 24 hours. Those with milk allergies may use 2 cups filtered water plus 2 tablespoons whey, lemon juice or vinegar in place of undiluted buttermilk.
Blend in remaining ingredients. Pour into a well-buttered and floured loaf pan (preferably stoneware). Bake at 350 degrees for at least 1 1/2 hours or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Note: you can substitute the zucchini for 2 ripe bananas for banana bread!

2 comments:

  1. I've used that cook book for the banana bread recipe which is almost the same as the zucchini, but I found that if I divide the batter (It says makes 1 loaf but I don't think I could get all the batter in one loaf pan if I tried) and bake at a lower temperature(325), mine actually is ready in about an hour. Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails