Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Mexican Zucchini Soup

My garden is doing great! Two more skinny, forearm sized zucchinis harvested!

I saw this wonderful looking recipe a few weeks back for zucchini soup. The original recipe had jalapenos, which would not mix well with a nursing mom, so I made a few changes.

My husband said this was a great soup. He was convinced there were potatoes in the soup because of the texture but no no no... no potatoes in this soup.

This is a great tasting soup, and a good use for those extra large zucchini that often appear in the garden. Of course, a normal size zucchini also is good.




The Ingredients:
2 large skinny zucchinis, chopped in small cubes
1 small yellow summer squash (I just had this on hand and needed to get rid of it - could do without!)
1/2 - 3/4 red onion, chopped
1 1/2 - 1 3/4 cup yellow corn
1 TBSP Olive Oil or Raw butter
2 vegetable bouillon cubes
2 cups water
1/2 - 3/4 cup tomatillo salsa
nutmeg
pepper
salt
1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese (you can use more or less!)
The Directions
Saute onion in Olive Oil or Raw butter until glassy, about 3 minutes.

In a blender add zucchini, in sections, and pulse zucchini until finely mince with a few bigger pieces. You do not want to completely puree the zucchini but you do want a variety of sizes.
(this is how I tricked my husband into thinking this was a hardy soup)

Add zucchini to the onions. Saute with onions until tender. Stir in water, bouillon cubes, corn, salt, pepper and nutmeg.

Bring soup to a gentle boil, reduce the heat and cook until corn and zucchini are soft but not mushy.

Add Parmesan cheese and tomatillo salsa.

Garnish with fresh Parsley. (I did not have any on hand and the soup tasted wonderful!)

2 comments:

  1. This one caught my eye, I love tomatillos, I'll definitely be trying it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you will LOVE it!! Let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails