Thursday, July 8, 2010

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies


I love baking. I love sweets.

I am sure you are thinking to yourself "how can someone who is all about health eat sweets?" I love sweets!!!! That is why, I am working on coming up with "healthier" cookies.

Here is my first attempt at healthy cookies. I used sweet potato, instead of sugar. Both my husband and I were hesitant to try them, but WOW, we are glad we did. The cookies were delicious.

Please bare with me as I try to baking. I am also going to try these again but with different types of flours.

But until then... ENJOY

The Ingredients:
1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
1/4 cup Brown Rice Flour
1/2 cup Quinoa Flour
1 teaspoon bakiing powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 cup Apple Sauce (I did 1/2 cup Applesauce and 1/4 cup yogurt)
1 1/2 cups sweet potato (bake at 350 for approx 30 - 45 minutes)
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 organic free-range eggs
3 to 3 1/2 cups Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Rolled Oats
1 cup dark chocolate dark chips

The Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets. If you don't use a baking mat, parchment paper will help.

Whisk the dry ingredients in a bowl. In a mixer, add yogurt, applesauce, eggs, vanilla, and sweet potato. Add the dry ingredients into the mixing bowl. Once mixed start with 3 cups oats. Mix till distributed evenly. If you'd like more in the batter, add in another half cup. Finally, add the dark chocolate chips.

Spoon balls of dough onto lined baking sheets and press down a bit to make a cookie shape. If you like your cookies flat and crispy, press down a bit thinner. If not, keep them more rounded.

If you're not sure, do a test run with a single cookie if you like, to see how much the dough spreads while baking.

Bake for about 12 minutes until slightly golden and chewy. (Note: Longer baking time (15 minutes) creates a harder cookie, closer to packaged oatmeal cookies.)

Cool the baking sheets on a wire rack for 3-4 minutes; than remove the cookies onto cooling racks.

Makes 18 large cookies or 24 medium cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails