Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Collard Greens

Hubby and I lived in Marietta, Georgia while he attended Chiropractic school. We were there for 4 years and had the privilege of meeting a lot of great friends, many who are life long friends! 

One of those people is a great Southern cook and taught me some of her recipes/tricks for making a few dishes. One of my favorite recipes of hers is her Collard Green recipe. I must add that I had never had Collard Greens until her recipe but since trying hers and loving it, I have started trying it other places... but none are like hers! 

Being in the South and having more people cook Southern foods certain recipe ingredients are easier to find than here in Indiana so I have had to adapt the recipe to fit my ingredient availability!
The Ingredients:
1 or 2 bunches of Collard Greens (I like to make a lot and enjoy them all week!)
1 small onion, diced
1 turkey neck *
water
broth
salt and pepper

* Turkey Necks are really hard to find in Indiana. I have had to switch out the turkey neck for some beef or turkey bacon. Both work great! I also add broth to my water now to help bring out the flavor!

The Directions:
Soak the collard green leaves in cold water for a few hours. This helps give them a good rinse and also starts the process. Taking the center rib out can be done two ways. My friend rips the stem out and then rolls and cuts her pieces. Another way is to just rip the stem out and then rip the pieces. The cutting way leaves the Collards prettier but they all taste the same!!!

I saute the onion and lightly cook the bacon. You don't want to cook the bacon all the way just start the process!

Add all the leaves to a large pot and cover with water. I add broth (whatever kind I have on hand maybe 1 cup sometimes less sometimes more) and the onion and bacon. Boil the collards for a few hours* until they are tender.

* I like to bring my water to a boil and turn the heat down to medium medium high.

These are so good and so amazing!!!! We are enjoying these in our house tonight!!!

ENJOY!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails